Saturday, June 10, 2006

Part 13 - Ah, Crushes (Pause for Thought)

I mentioned earlier that I once had a crush on Amanda, and it came back to me for a moment when we were planning the tortures used to extricate the truth from Jase. I’d even gone to the trouble of writing a note, further than I’d gone for a couple of others, like the delightful Rebecca.
(um, you might need some clarification, dear reader. With four girls with the name Rebecca at school, and my unwillingness to use last names for fear of legal retribution, you’re going to have to deal with Bec, Rebecca, Becca and Beccy. Thankfully, they never really hung out together, so you’re not going to get confused by such lines as: Bec said to Bec, ‘Bec, we have to talk about Bec.’)
Rebecca was unbelievably cute, unbelievably adorable, and unbelievably out of my league. I treasured the precious moments when she walked within ten meters of me, and almost had a heart attack when she asked to try my drink. Sometimes you know the effort would just not produce any result, so you leave well alone and enjoy having something nice to stare at while you’re zoned out in Chemistry. Threat Level Blue, on the fridge-magnet scale. Alert for any hint of returned feelings, but don’t push it buddy.
Then there was your everyday standard crush, where you are convinced you like the girl, she may like you back if you put a bit of effort in, and she’s within all acceptable social standards. Amanda fell into this range for me, a yellow. Some girls would be more of a green, closer to the likely No of a Blue, and hence note-passing was resured for yellow or greater. You’d hook up with a green at a dance party if the opportunity arose, and there was a greater chance of your dancing circle moving into hers.
Orange was a step up, someone who you may have even hung out with a couple of times, and you’d be working up the courage to ask her out on a proper date. Until this year at school, that’s kinda the situation I’d found myself in with girls outside of school, hanging out, dating for a bit, then not working out.
Dear god, Red. I love this girl so much I could die with a single ‘No’ from her lips. Already I fear I’ve drastically killed the situation with Anna that I can’t talk to her like I can with other girls lower on the threat scale, but I want her more than anything I’ve ever wanted. And these two know that, Jase and Amanda. My Confession was wrought out long ago, after The Camp, and The Note. Our concern in this moment was that His crush was a Red, or worse, he felt Red about a Blue. If that were the case, we could talk him down to a Blue before he did something stupid. Like I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home